Tuesday, January 24, 2012

State of the Dandis

There's something about politics that sucks me in.  Entices me with its never-ending headbutting, extensive analysis, brief agreements, lengthy disagreements and crazy cast of characters.  Just when I think I'm finally over it, I'm so not.  Tonight's State of the Union speech was another glowing example of my continued inability to turn the channel.  I don't regret the time dedicated to pre-speech analysis.  Or the time spent watching the more-than-an-hour long speech.  Or the Republican response (blech, Mitch Daniels).  Or the post-SotU/Repub response analysis.  Or the 15 minutes of already-aired pre-speech analysis by Keith Olbermann that I watched 3 hours after it was broadcast, after realizing I should have been watching him all along.  No regrets, man.  No regrets.

But whilst saturating my Tuesday night with political punditry, it got me thinking about myself.  After my not-so-sober posting from New Years, how now do I feel about the State of the Dandis?  Well the most major event as of yesterday is my securing employment at the Rocky Mountain MS Center.  Something I kept my chin up about 3 weeks ago but did not exactly foresee.  Alas, it happened and I....  feel good about it.  So good, in fact, that I immediately purchased tickets to a hip-hop blowout occurring at Red Rocks.  What better way to celebrate?, asked Danny.  I agreed.

We're almost a month into 2012, and I'm over 4 months into living in Colorado.  Things were looking up not too long ago, but now I've got some concrete evidence.  And with "the way things are," having a job (full-time with benefits) is no small deal.  Neither is having a roof over our heads, food in our fridge, family close by and the ability to afford to go to a kickass hip-hop show.  Gotta keep that gratitude alive.

So while I'm not tackling the issues of an entire nation, it still gives me pause and a chance to reflect on the State of Me.  And as far as the politics go, I can still get into the fun of the issues and the eloquence of the speech giver.  You may not love him.  You may not like him.  But how could you not have a little soft spot for a guy with vision, positivity  .....and soul to spare?  Ok ok, I know many would find it (and his SotU "spilled milk" joke) more than a tad hokey.  But this guy's got a snappy sense of humor and doesn't make up words.  I'm looking at you, W..

No comments:

Post a Comment